£95.00 - £620.00
You can only purchase this course online if you are an existing CertAVP candidate. During the checkout process you will be required to enter your RVC username.
How to enrol as a new CertAVP candidate.
About this course
At the end of the module, candidates should be able to demonstrate:
- A knowledge (aetiology, pathogenesis, clinical presentation, epidemiology, treatment/ prevention) of the common diseases affecting poultry (either clinically or sub-clinically), and an understanding of the economic importance of the disease to individual flocks and associated epidemiological groups.
- A clear understanding of how husbandry and management can influence these diseases.
- A thorough understanding of the diagnostic techniques available for determining or confirming a diagnosis, together with an understanding of the practical techniques involved, the limitations of the techniques and cost implications on the economics of production.
- A sound understanding of the immune response in birds, the impact and mechanism of immunosuppression and how the immune response may be manipulated by vaccination and other factors.
- An understanding of the basic components of a preventative healthcare plan and how to implement within both small and large scale poultry production systems.
- Sound knowledge of biosecurity and hygiene including types of disinfectants allowed under Poultry Orders legislation.
- An understanding of the available poultry vaccines in the UK, both live and inactivated, their mode of action immunologically and how these products can be used as a component of a cost-effective preventative health programme.
- A thorough understanding of the practicalities and challenges of vaccine administration and the possible consequences of inadequate vaccine administration from a disease and economic perspective.
- A comprehensive understanding of the principles of therapeutics, therapeutic products available for poultry in the
and their benefits/limitations both from a disease treatment and economic perspective. UK
- A clear understanding of the food safety and legal requirements of the use of preventative and therapeutic products.
- An understanding of the principles and practicalities of therapeutic and preventive product administration in the various poultry production systems.
Full module details can be accessed by downloading the Module Oultine below:
Barry Thorp, BVMS PhD DiplECPVS MRCVS
Specialist Poultry Veterinarian and Partner
St David's Poultry Team